Grilled Fish Tacos
Let’s real talk for a second: I haven’t been feeling my best lately, health wise. It’s a combination from a lot of travel, a lot of junk food and a lot sleep deprivation. I decided that I have had enough with feeling so crummy and getting such terrible headaches and that it was time to make some lifestyle changes when it came to my eating habits and how I was taking care of my body. I know I’ve got to do better; I’ve got to help myself out by taking care of myself.
So, I chose a cookbook from Blogging for Books to try out and review this month called Grill It, Braise It, Broil It. It’s actually a cookbook made and promoted by the American Heart Association, so I knew that this was my chance at getting my hands on some recipes that would be tailored to being good for my body. I was a little nervous about getting a cook book, since the baking one I got last month was WAY over my head in terms of techniques and time. However, this cookbook did not disappoint. Not only are ALL of these recipes extremely easy and doable, they are made with ingredients you normally have sitting around your house or ones you can easily buy from a grocery store. No weird ingredient hunting necessary!
Random, but not really: I’ve been on a fish taco binge lately. I just can’t get enough of them. And that’s really weird for me because I am not a girl who willingly orders fish, in general. I like it, but I much rather eat steak. However, fish is super good for you and after eating the worlds most amazing fish tacos at a local pub in downtown chico, I just haven’t been able to stop. So, when I saw there was a recipe for grilled fish tacos in this cookbook, I knew it would be the first recipe we would try.
Once again, I cannot stress how EASY it was to follow the directions and make this dish. It was simple, easy and fast. Also, it tasted AMAZING! However, it didn’t come with a recipe for the sauce, so Dustin and I ended up improvising and creating a sauce to go with these tacos and it came out pretty good! And, the best part was that I felt super good after eating this dinner; not slow and groggy like normal. A step in the right direction!
If you want to try out this recipe, you will need:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon canola or veggie oil
4 white fish fillets (I used tilapia, but haddock would work really well, too)
8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
1 medium avocado
2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 package of cabbage slaw
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream
Juice from one lime
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Garlic Salt to taste
To make the fish:
1. In a small bowl, stir together all of the seasonings with the oil. Spread the mixture over the fish with a pastry brush or spoon, coating both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, or longer!
2. Make your sauce while the fish marinates! Chop up the avocado, cilantro and place in a blender. Add the sour cream and the juice from the lime. Blend it all until it becomes smooth, then add garlic salt. Blend again and taste; add more garlic salt if desired.
3. Preheat your grill on high. When the fish is ready, lightly spray one side of it with the cooking oil. Grill the sprayed side down for 6-7 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Don’t turn it over.
4. When the fish is done, remove it from the grill. Let it cool for 3-5 minutes before breaking it into 1 inch pieces.
5. Lay out a tortilla and place down the cabbage slaw. Place the fish next and top with the avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and sauce. EAT AND ENJOY!
Now I need to know; what are your healthy recipes that you go to when you need to help your body out? Am I the only one who is obsessing over fish tacos these days?
P.S. If you have a few minutes to spare, I would love it if you took my reader survey! Just a few questions!
P.P.S. My blogiversary is coming up soon and I’ve got some great party plans in the mix. For sneak peaks at whats coming your way, be sure to subscribe to my email newsletter!