A Mission Statement
Since making the choice to quit my job and work on Life with Rosie full time for the rest of the summer, I’ve done some serious thinking about what the whole purpose of this blog is. I love being a lifestyle blogger and I truly believe that lifestyle blogs matter in the grand blogging scheme of things. But, if I’m going to be serious about this space, I knew I needed to narrow a few things down and have a more specific game plan about what is going to happen here over the next few months.
I’ve realized that when I sit down to write a post, it needs to do at least one of these four things:
2. Build a Community
In order to make sure I’m hitting at least one of these writing goals, I decided to create a mission statement for myself and for Life with Rosie so that I always have something to refer back to.
Life with Rosie encourages women to embrace life to its fullest by experiencing new things, caring for all aspects of their well-being, and overcoming their insecurities in order to achieve their dreams.
As a pediatric cancer survivor, my life is far from perfect. I struggle with a wide range of health issues, emotional scars and insecurities about a body that has been pieced back together. I’ve struggled with anxiety, depression and bitterness and there have been days where I have seen no point in getting out of bed. However, I am through with throwing myself pity parties and want to take my life back from cancer. I want to try new things, take care of my body, dress it up, and become confident in my skin. I want to live the life I almost lost and Life with Rosie is a place for me to document those experiences and encourage others to do the same.
What you can expect with this mission statement in place:
1. The same old me and of course, Rosie. A little sassy, forever obsessed with salted caramel and always trying my best to love my body and to be grateful for my second chance at life. I debated rebranding my blog completely with a new name, but I decided to keep it the same because Rosie truly woke me up from my funk and inspired me to start getting out of the house and loving myself again. The unconditional love from a dog is unlike any kind of love you’ll ever experience and I’m so grateful for hers!
2. Continued beauty and fashion posts. I never thought of myself as a beauty/fashion blogger, but it’s becoming one of my favorite things to write about. Why? Because I am learning that I have this amazing body that FOUGHT and BEAT cancer and even though I still have my days where I’m mad at it, I’m learning to love it and be confident in it. I express my love for my body by taking the time to put make up on and put together an outfit that I feel confident in. I’m in no means someone who thinks her style is the next big thing. But I do want to share the things that make me feel beautiful and that help me accept myself as I am in hopes to inspire someone else that it’s okay to be scared and to still take care of your body.
3. Reviews/Posts about new things to try. This includes books, trips/travel, subscription boxes, the occasional recipe, tricks for raising a pup, etc. Why? Because there is so much to life I almost missed out on and I don’t want to take that for granted again. I hope that by sharing my experiences, I can inspire someone else to try something new as well.
4. Following Dreams/Blogging. My dream is slowly becoming a reality: to be a full time blogger. I’ll definitely document the process as I move along through the next few months. I know it’s not going to be easy and that I have so much to learn, but I feel that it’s important to share the things I learn from chasing this dream so that maybe, someone will have the guts to chase theirs, too.
5. The Occasional Deep Thought. Life isn’t perfect. I’m not full of wisdom and I still have plenty to learn, but I know what it’s like to be in a dark place and to not know when the light is going to come out. I want you to know you are not alone.
What I won’t be blogging about:
1. Crafty things. I tried that a few times and it just wasn’t my thing. That’s okay! I still love to craft, but trying to photograph it and put it into directions was tedious for me.
2. Religion. I love my faith (LDS) and I’m always writing from my faith’s perspective, but I promise I won’t get too preachy or too over the top. Just know that I love Jesus and I know that families are forever and I’m always open to talking about it…just not on here.
3. Products/Experience just to make cash. I have made a little money off of this space and that’s been a really pleasant surprise. It would be cool if that kept up. But I want you to know that I will never accept something or write about something and be dishonest about it just to make some money. There is so much more to life then making money and I will only write about sponsored products that I truly love and feel that you could benefit from.
4. The Duggars/Bruce and/or Caitlyn Jenner/The Bachelorette. Because there is already so much going on about all of that and honestly, there is so much more to life then worrying about those things that the media is already blowing up.
I’m excited to see where this space goes with this mission statement in place. I already feel like I have a much clearer idea of what I’m doing and what my purpose is as a blogger.
Do you have a mission statement for your blog? What kinds of posts are you most excited to read here? What do you think of my mission statement? I’d love to hear your input.