ChelsChats – July: Life & Blog Update & Things in my Shopping Cart
Affiliate links at no cost to you. thanks for supporting HTC!
Hey there. It’s been a hot second. I gave an update on Instagram a couple days ago as to why it’s been quiet around these parts for a week, but the short run of the matter is that I got burnt out and discouraged and had to throw myself a bit of a pity party. As much as I dislike feeling super down and out, I’ve learned that I truly have to let myself feel those emotions (instead of burying and ignoring them) so that I can process them. It’s the only way I’ve been able to pick myself back up and move forward after being in a funk – and to be honest, I’ve learned that I have to CHOOSE to get out of a funk. Not always easy, but something I’m actively working on (which is an improvement for me.)
Anyway, since it’s now AUGUST FIRST, I decided that we should have a little ChelsChat about life and blogging and the things in my shopping cart. You know, basically me rambling to you over lunch or coffee. So, here we go.
- Dustin and I got up at the crack of dawn to go to the Freedom Hot Air Balloon Festival in Provo, UT on the 4th of July, I wasn’t sure what to expect, because I’d never been to one, but I figured it might be kind of cool. Friends. It was WAY cool. SO MUCH cooler than I expected it to be. There were 27 hot air balloons across a field and they all blew them up at the same time and we got to stand in the middle of it all. It literally made my heart skip a beat while watching all these bright colored balloons come to life around me and we loved waving goodbye as one by one, they lifted up towards the sky. It was one of those moments where I was so, so thankful to be alive to witness such a beautiful sight!
- I packed my bags up a couple weekends ago, got on a redeye and flew from SLC to Philly to be reunited with some of my very best girlfriends: Erica, Taylor, and Amanda! I met these girls online through the blogging community and I’m SO stoked that I’ve been able to see them in person TWICE this year already. We had an amazing weekend and packed it full of adventures, including a night-time carnival, seeing the sights in historic downtown Philly, shopping the Nordstrom Sale, and – wait for it – seeing TAYLOR SWIFT IN CONCERT! Um yeah, that’s right. Erica surprised us with tickets to see T.Swift’s Reputation Tour and if that doesn’t show what true friendship is, I don’t know what does. Also, in case anyone was wondering (and missed out on my Instagram stories) the concert was so good. SOOOO GOOD. We danced and sang literally all night. HUGE thanks to Taylornation for hooking us up with amazing seats and snacks.
- My parents flew out from Boston the weekend after Philly because my brother and sister-in-law were graduating from college! So, we packed up the pups and took a quick road trip up to Idahome so we could be there for the graduation ceremonies. It was great to be there all together as a family and then to be able to spend a few extra days with my parents in Utah before they flew back home.
- I went to the Build an Awesome Brand workshop at the very end of June, put on by Alison of The Alison Show and it was a GAME. CHANGER. And also, a LIFE. CHANGER. It was a way more emotional experience than I thought it would be, but it really helped me find the root of WHY I do what I do and what I can do to share that message to the people who I want to share it with. It’s taken me almost a month to chew on all the information and insight I gained there, but I’m slowly starting to see how to create action around it and create a plan. After all, insight is cute, but action is drop dead gorgeous.
- I started filming IGTV videos and have had a lot of fun creating some beauty video content. I’m not sure if I’m going to stick to the IGTV platform, but for now, it’s working well while I get used to producing video content. I actually bought a little Sony A5100 to do vlogging on, but I had an overheating problem and had to return it. I ended up going with a Canon M50 but I don’t like it as much as I liked the Sony, so I have to figure out what to do next. I spent a nice chunk of change on getting a vlogging camera, so I want to make sure that I get the best bang for my buck. I really might go back to the A5100 and hope that the overheating was just a fluke with my first one, because I was so happy with all of the other features and quality. Any imput or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Things in my Shopping Cart
Nearly cried TEARS OF JOY when ItCosmetics announced they were releasing a matte/oil-free version of their CC cream. I’ve been using the ByeBye Foundation nonstop all summer, but on those extra hot days, it still gets a little oily right around my nose. I’m for sure going to be buying this when it’s time to place my next Sephora order!
Covered Button Down Strappy Cami from Loft – I’ve been looking for some cute camis to wear under my blazers at work, and I love how delicate and feminine this cami is from Loft! It’s in my cart, ready to be ordered when the next Loft sale comes around!
Ugg Jania Boots – I realized that it’s probably time for me to retire my very loved Madden Girl boots (shown in this post) because I’ve had them for 5 years and they are starting to wear out pretty badly. So, I’m in the market for new tan boots. I really like the mixed media of the materials in this Ugg boot and they are on sale at Zappos for $99.00, which is a stellar price for Uggs. I am always okay with spending on good shoes for my knee replacement and I’m seriously considering these ones. What are your thoughts? Cute or keep looking?
Anastasia Beverly Hills Norvina Palette – Yeah, I need another eyeshadow palette like I need a hole in the head, but PURPLES! I remember when my mom said I was old enough to wear makeup and took me to a beauty counter in the mall to buy my first eyeshadow. The beauty counter lady said that purple would compliment my brown eyes the best, so I wore purple eyeshadow all the time in high school. Purple has a special place in my heart, so basically, I need this palette, right?
I normally include a “things I love” portion in ChelsChats, but the list has gotten super long, so I decided to save that for another post completely dedicated to monthly favorites/things I love!
Let’s catch up – how have things been for you? Let me know below – because I genuinely want to know.
Read other ChelsChats Below: