How to Style Ugly Christmas Sweaters, Party Ideas
This post was sponsored by Tipsy Elves, but all opinions are my own!
I spent the weekend with my giant calendar that I keep on my kitchen counter and adding in ALL of the holiday festivities that we have planned in the next two weeks. As I was adding in the dates and times of flights for family, work parties, and concerts, I realized that I don’t have one, or even two, but THREE Ugly Christmas Sweater parties. This isn’t my first year going to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party, but it is the first year that I have an ugly (but hysterical) sweater to actually wear, so I’m stoked.
I teamed up with several of my favorite blogging friends in Utah and Tipsy Elves (you may recognize them from Shark Tank) to share with you several ideas on how to style your ugly sweaters this holiday season. I mean, I know it seems pretty straightforward – throw on your ugly sweater and call it a day! But, this is Christmas after all, and still a holiday party, and I plan on ROCKING my sweater. There’s no shame in making your ugly sweater stylish, right?
How to Style an Ugly Christmas Sweater
- First of all, don’t be embarrassed! Pull out that confidence and ROCK that ugly sweater. At my first ever Ugly Christmas Sweater party, I was SO self-conscious. I knew everyone would be wearing ugly sweaters, too, but I was still nervous that they would think I looked ridiculous in mine. Not saying that I think I’m “all that,” but I have found a new confidence in rocking things that make me happy, and my ugly sweater from Tipsy Elves makes me SO happy. I am ALL about the punny sayings. My sweater says “Feliz Navidog” and it seriously makes me laugh EVERY time I look at it, so I’m going to ROCK that sweater AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE (see what I did there?)
- Going to a casual party? Skinny Jeans and booties all the way. This is how I plan to wear my sweater to my work party – I want to let my sweater speak for itself and keep it simple with jeans and booties. (P.S. I just got these jeggings from American Eagle and they may be the best pair of jeans I’ve put on my body. Not even kidding.)
- Snazz it up with curls or a bold lip. Sweaters are cozy, but you can still glam it up by curling your hair or putting on a bright red lip!
- Accessorize with Christmas Head Pieces – How CUTE does Kate look with her reindeer antler headband? I figure if you’re going to wear a cheesy, punny Christmas sweater, might as well go all out. Santa hats, jingle bell antenna, elf hats, and reindeer antlers all would look adorable with an ugly Christmas sweater and you can usually find some form of a hat at the Dollar Spot in Target.
- Add some Sequins – I love that Karli from Everyday Ellis embraced the sequins on her sweater and paired it with SEQUIN PANTS! It’s such a fun way to add an extra little sparkle and really get that Christmas vibe going. Adding an extra sequined component would be great for an Ugly Sweater party being hosted at someone’s home!
- Commit to being Fancy – Keara from Modest Style really went all out with her sweater and paired it with a sequined skirt, blouse and bright red heels. She looks FANCY as all get out, and her sloth sweater looks super cute with it. I love that she committed to going all out with a fancy outfit and how cute it looks with her cardigan.
Ideas for Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties
Because I failed to get my act together early enough, I’m not throwing an Ugly Sweater Party this year, but I am preparing for one next year for sure. Here are a couple ideas to chew on if you are throwing an Ugly Christmas Sweater party in the next couple weeks:
- Hang up wrapping paper on a wall – It’s a perfect backdrop for taking photos of everyone in their sweaters
- Have medals – That way you can award a first, second, and third place award to the best Ugly Sweaters of the night! Or, have categories, like “Ugliest” “Funniest” and “Cutest.”
- Make Shirt Sugar Cookies – And then set out a bunch of icing and sprinkles so that everyone can decorate their own Ugly Sweater cookie1
- Plan some Holiday games – I personally love the one where you have a some dice and a present wrapped up in a million layers of wrapping paper, tissue paper, and saran wrap and pass it around in a circle. Everyone has to try to open it up as fast as they can with oven mitts on but has to pass it if the next person rolls a certain number on the dice.
- Hot Cocoa Bar. Need I say more?
Follow my Friends:
And I’m wearing the Feliz Navidog sweater!
Shop this post:
Let me know what Ugly Sweater from Tipsy Elves is your favorite below!