Looks to Love: Valentine’s Day Pink Lip Tutorial
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MNYLooksToLove #CollectiveBias
It’s crazy to think that this Valentine’s day will mark the 10-year anniversary of finishing my first round of chemotherapy. I’m honestly floored; there are days where my cancer was a far off nightmare and other days where I feel like I’m still living in it. Regardless, Valentine’s Day holds a very special meaning to me: I get to celebrate all kinds of love in my life and I get to celebrate my love FOR my life!
I’ve had a crazy January with some weird health issues (more on that later this week) and that’s put me back a few steps in my journey to loving my body. So, I’m super excited that I got to work with Maybelline to put together this fun Valentine’s Day tutorial because it forced me to sit down, play with my makeup and love on myself. I can’t express how much better I felt after putting on my makeup after ignoring it for a few days, and I am so grateful for the push to invest some care into my body. So, if you are having a rough day, remember to take the time to love yourself and use this makeup tutorial to try something new!
ANYWAY! I feel like Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to rock a bold lip, but I wanted to stray away from the typical cliche red, so I opted for a hot fuschia instead! If you follow me on snapchat, you know that I’ve been wearing this color ALL dang week on my lips and I have been loving it! I know it can be super nerve-wracking to rock such a bold color in public, but it’s also super empowering. Never underestimate a woman in bright lipstick!
Prep your lips first thing in the morning!
- It’s super important to prepare your lips before you do ANYTHING! I recommend using a good lip scrub to take off any of the dead skin and even out the surface. This will help your lipstick apply smoothly and not look cakey on your mouth! I usually do a lip scrub first thing in the morning after my shower and then slap on some chapstick right after to help add some moisture right back in.
- Apply another round of chapstick when you sit down to do your makeup before applying anything else. That adds some more moisture into your lips and helps prevent your foundation and powder from caking up on your lips as you apply everything else.
Let’s Get Started:
- Start with your face base! Apply your foundation, concealer, bronzer and contour to even out your skin tone and add light and definition to your bone structure. In case you missed it, I provided a SUPER in-depth tutorial on how to apply your base and contour your face last week. You can read it here.
Easy on the Eyes:
When planning to rock a bold lip, it’s important to think about how to balance out the rest of your face. I highly recommend doing a softer eye look so that your face isn’t too intense everywhere. I also am going for more of a doe-eyed affect on the eyes with this look to make my eyes look bigger and more round to balance out the bright pink lip. Here’s how I did it:
- I first applied a white eye base to help the lighter colors pop off my skin.
- I used my Maybelline’s The Blushed Nudes palette (perfect rose-gold hues for V-day) and took the medium gray color and buffed it into my crease, first in windshield wiper motions, and then in small circles going up towards my brow. I recommend using a super fluffy, but slightly tapered blending brush to get the product to spread evenly! I also dragged the color from the outer corner all the way into the inner corner of my eye to create the rounded look.
3. Next, I used a darker silver-grey in the palette and first applied it with a smaller blending brush in the outer corner of my eye before dragging it into the crease. Using another darker color puts depth into the eye and helps create that rounded look!
4. Finally, I mixed the white shade with the lightest pink shade in the palette and patted it all over my lid and into the inner corner with a shader brush. I took my time and built up the color as much as I could because I really wanted to brighten up my eyes and help them look large and awake.
5. Taking a black liquid liner, I carefully lined my eyes along my lash line. NOTE: I did not do a winged liner here! I brought the liner down all the way to the corner of my eye and thickened it a tiny bit, but did not wing it out. This really helps create the rounded, doe-eyed look that I’m going for instead of elongating my eyes.
6. I used the Maybelline Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Liner in soft nude to line my water line. Using a nude or white liner in your waterline is another great trick to make your eyes appear bigger and more rounded! Black liner can make your eyes look more narrow and closed while white opens them right up!
7. I finalized my eye look with the Maybelline Falshies Push Up Drama mascara. This mascara has a wand that helps push up your eyelashes and hold a curl. My eyelashes are REALLY stubborn (remember that time they fell out during chemo and grew back in all wonky?) and refuse to hold a curl. I’m serious. They flat out refuse to stay curled. I’ll be honest, I don’t notice a huge improvement in my lashes and their curly-ness when I use this mascara, but I’ve had friends swear by it! Regardless, I love how black this mascara is and I like the drama it adds to my bottom lashes.
8. I rub off any excess chapstick I may still have on my lips from when I first applied it and then I go in with the Maybelline Color Blur matte lippie in Berry Misbehaved to line my lips. I love using this product instead of a regular lip liner because it goes on really smooth and the shape of the tip makes it really easy to define the shape of my mouth. Plus, using putting down a base like this helps make sure your lipstick doesn’t feather and makes it last much longer!
9. Last but not least, I apply the star of the show: the Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in Mesmerizing Magenta. If you’ve been around my blog for a while, you know that I am OBSESSED with the Creamy Matte formula in the Color Sensational line. These lipsticks have a beautiful matte finish without being dry on the lips and they have incredible stay power. The combination of the Color Blur lippie and the Creamy Matte lipstick create a powerful lip combo that stays on for hours without getting fading!
Tada! I love this look so much; to me it’s the perfect balance of festive and bold, while still being soft and feminine. You can grab all of these products at Walmart while you are picking up your Valentine’s Day candy hearts, so don’t be afraid to wander down the lipstick aisle and pick out a bold color to try! I can’t wait to wear it to the various Valentine’s Day activities Dustin and I have planned on Sunday!
I’d love to know your thoughts on this look and on bold pink lipstick. What look are you planning on rocking this Valentine’s Day?