What to Pack for a Summer Weekend Getaway – Capsule Wardrobe
I received free product in exchange for styling the products in this post. All opinions are my own. Affiliate links may be used in this post
I mentioned a few posts ago that I was considering doing a fall capsule wardrobe this year. I’ve been chewing on this idea for a while my closet has gotten overwhelmingly large and because I’d like to start putting more of my money towards home improvement projects (those granite countertops are not going to show up on their own, right?) But, I’m kind of a fickle creature when it comes to putting restrictions on my closet and I’m still not entirely sure if a capsule wardrobe is going to be a good fit for me. So, I decided to start off small and put together a weekend getaway capsule wardrobe to see how I felt about the idea on a smaller scale. Here’s how it all shook out:
Weekend Getaway Capsule Wardrobe – What I Choose:
1.Red Tank Top | Old Navy via ThredUP ($4.99) – I knew I wanted this mini capsule wardrobe to be mostly neutrals so that they could mix and match well. However, I wanted to have at least one bold color to work with, and this red tank fit the bill. It’s a great pop of color that really contrasts well with neutrals, and because it was a tank, I knew it would layer well with different sweaters and jackets!
2. Requirements Grey Cardigan | via ThedUP ($7.99) – Even though this capsule is for a summer getaway, I think it’s so important to always pack a light cardigan! I always get cold in restaurants, shops, walking around in the evening, and even our hotel room (because I like to crank the AC and snuggle into bed) so having something to layer with is essential. I love this one that I snagged from ThredUP because it’s light enough for summer, but still cozy! Plus, it’s a great light gray and goes with everything!
3. XXI White Blouse | via ThredUP ($8.99) // – I loved this top because it was flowy and dressy, but still would pair well with leggings (because I believe in comfort.) Plus, it is super forgiving, so I can comfortably eat a steak dinner without being worried about my food baby, ya know? The crochet detailing really makes this the perfect summer date-night top!
4. Black Capri Leggings | Simple Addiction ($7.00 – use code CHELSIE15 for 15% off // not an affiliate) – This probably is a given, since I rave about these leggings every month. They are DEAD-ON dupes for those spendy Lularoe leggings, thick and durable, come in a Capri version, and have a yoga waistband for maximum comfort and support. I hate driving/walking/exploring in jeans because they can be so uncomfortable and stiff, so leggings are a must for me when traveling. (You can see other ways I’ve styled these leggings here & here)
5. Grey Skirt | Lularoe via ThredUP ($10.99) – Even though I don’t buy Lularoe at full price, I still like their pieces and I can usually snag one or two Lularoe gems from ThredUP when I look hard enough! I wanted to find a patterned piece for my weekend capsule wardrobe but still wanted it to be neutral if possible so that I could pair it with my bright red tank. This one fit the bill in every way! Plus, I love the style of this skirt – it’s flowy and has great movement, which is perfect for walking around town or exploring new shops and galleries.
6. Black Sandals | Kohls, last season (Similar HERE)- I firmly believe in wearing sandals for as long as possible in the summer. As much as I love bootie season, my feet are a bit claustrophobic and my tootsies like being wild and free for as much as possible! I love these sandals because they offer a bit more support than flip flops, look fancier (so they can be worn to a nice dinner) and go with everything!
Weekend Capsule Combinations
Outfit One – 3 + 4 + 6
Like I mentioned before, this outfit is perfect for going out to dinner while on your trip or touring a fancy museum or other indoor activity. The top is the perfect balance of comfort & dressy. Since it’s more of a tunic shape, it pairs really well with black leggings and still looks dressy and put together!
Outfit Two – 1 + 2 + 4 + 6
This outfit is perfect for a day of exploring! It’s comfortable, easy to move around in, and pairs well with or without the cardigan for those places with extra air conditioning.
Outfit Three – 1 + 2 + 5 + 6
I wore this exact outfit while exploring Daybreak, UT a couple weekend ago and it was perfect. It was a reallllly warm day, so this skirt kept me really cool and it was easy to move around in. After the sun set, it got a little cool, so I whipped out this cardigan and it did a great job of keeping me warm and paired great with the skirt. Plus, I LOVE the way the red stands out against the grays and blacks of the rest of the outfit. It’s a show stopper, that’s for sure, and I felt BOMB in it.
I’m actually really impressed with myself. I came up with three different outfits with just 5 pieces (+1 pair of shoes) for a summer weekend getaway and I think each outfit is unique enough to stand on it’s own. Now, the onllllly problem I have with the idea of a capsule wardrobe for the weekend is that you have to re-wear some of these pieces 2X in a row and if you don’t have a washing machine handy, that could get a little stinky, ya know? Still, I really liked the challenge of combining a limited amount of pieces and seeing how far I could get them to stretch. Plus, I really like that this weekend wardrobe is simple – something like this will totally allow me to focus more on the experiences I’m having instead of worrying on what to wear from the massive amount of clothes I usually end up packing.
Another pro to a weekend capsule wardrobe? Since I got most of these pieces from ThredUP, this ENTIRE capsule wardrobe cost me under $40.00. Yeah, you heard THAT right! ThredUP is my favorite place to shop for stylish, on-trend pieces at a fraction of the price. All the pieces I’ve ordered are in pristine quality and feel brand new! If you wanna give ThredUP a try, you can use this link to get $10 towards your first order (affiliate link, I’ll get $10.00, too!)